Release Date: August 6,2018
The Akron Symphony Orchestra announces that single tickets for the 2018-19 concert season are now on sale.
“The schedule abounds with well-known blockbusters that invite the Orchestra to shine – from Sheherazade to The Ride of the Valkyries – as well as music by a number of film composers and an undersea exploration by female composer Stella Sung,” according to Music Director Christopher Wilkins. “Maestro Benjamin Zander will return to conduct the potent Tchaikovsky Fourth Symphony in his usual electrifying style. And the Orchestra will mark the 50th Anniversary of the first moon landing with space-related music, including Strauss’ Also sprach Zarathustra."
“We will close out the season with a concert performance of West Side Story, Leonard Bernstein’s groundbreaking masterpiece.”
Highlights of the Classic Series include:
• Rimsky-Korsakov’s seductive tale of adventure on the high seas, Sheherazade, on September 29
• Wagner’s epic The Ride of the Valkyries, with signature choruses of Verdi, on November 16
• Tchaikovsky’s supercharged Symphony No. 4, with guest conductor Benjamin Zander, on January 19
• Debussy’s masterpiece of Impressionism, La Mer, on February 9
• Strauss’ philosophical Also sprach Zarathustra and John Williams’ iconic Close Encounters of the Third Kind on March 16
• Beethoven’s heroic Symphony No. 3 with the Akron Symphony Chorus, on April 6
• Bernstein’s beloved, genre-busting Broadway hit, West Side Story (Symphony concert version), on May 4
In addition to the Classic Series, the Akron Symphony also presents the ever-popular Home for the Holidays concert in December, Gospel Meets Symphony in February, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ In Concert in March.
All concerts take place at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall, located on the campus of The University of Akron.
Single tickets, as well as season and flex subscriptions, are available online at akronsymphony.org or by calling the Symphony Box Office at 330.535.8131.