Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA)
The DORA allows patrons of one of the participating restaurants, bars, and entertainment venues to carry up to 16 oz. of an open alcoholic beverage in a designated cup within the designated DORA boundaries.
HOW TO ENJOY THE DOWNTOWN DORA
- ORDER your favorite adult beverage in a DORA cup at a participating establishment.
- DRINK your beverage within the downtown DORA boundaries, and at any business with this DORA decal.
- DISCARD your single use DORA cup when empty.
DORA cups must be discarded prior to entering ANY participating establishment (business that holds a liquor license) OR any business with this decal.
- ENJOY the Downtown Akron DORA daily through midnight.
You can purchase a DORA cup at any of the following businesses.
- Barley House
- Baxters Bar
- The Lockview
- Lock 3
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Where is the Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) in Akron? What are the hours?
Akron has one DORA and it is located in downtown Akron. Below is a map showing the Downtown DORA boundaries. The DORA hours are Noon-Midnight daily.
2. What is the DORA cup?
Below is an example of the Downtown Akron DORA cup. To drink an alcoholic beverage in the DORA boundaries, you must ask for your drink in a DORA cup and pay a $1 upcharge.
3. Can I walk anywhere with my DORA cup?
No, you must stay within the DORA boundaries. Leaving the DORA with an alcoholic beverage breaks State of Ohio and City of Akron open containers laws.
4. Can I take my DORA cup to Lock 3?
Yes, you can carry a cup in the open area of Lock 3 including the Towpath Connector Trail. Cups must be thrown away at the boundary of Lock 3’s liquor permit, which includes the sidewalk outside the concession area and Garden Alley.
5. Can I take my DORA cup in to the State Street Parking Deck?
No, DORA cups are not permitted in the State Street Parking Deck or in any type of vehicle.
6. Can I take my DORA cup back inside the establishment in which it was purchased?
No, once a DORA cup has left a business, it must be consumed before you enter any establishment with a liquor permit or designated with a "No DORA Beverages" decal. This includes reentering the business in which it was purchased.
7. Can I take an empty DORA cup into a business so I can reuse it?
No, you must dispose of a DORA cup before entering any business with a liquor permit or designated with a "No DORA Beverages" decal. The cups are single use.
8. What types of alcoholic beverage can I have in my DORA cup?
Beer, wine, and liquor are all allowable drinks in DORA cups. Drinks must be purchased from a participating business.
9. Can I bring my own alcoholic beverage, pour it into a DORA cup, and walk around in the DORA?
No, only drinks purchased from businesses participating in the DORA are allowed. No cans, glass bottles, or outside drinks are permitted within the boundaries.
Note: All State of Ohio and City of Akron laws regarding public intoxication, impaired driving, and open containers apply to areas both inside and outside of the DORA boundaries. Please drink responsibly.