Clean & Safe
A team of ambassadors works seven days a week to ensure a clean, safe and welcoming environment by providing safety escorts and other services to make downtown enjoyable for everyone. The ambassador program began in 2009 as a way to further Downtown Akron Partnership’s mission.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, ambassadors have added the extra precaution of disinfecting common touch points in the downtown area, including handrails, crosswalk and elevator buttons and door handles, to their daily list of services. Visitors to downtown Akron should still wash their hands regularly and follow all public health guidelines for limiting the spread of COVID-19.
Ambassador hours of operation—now seven days a week through support from Akron Civic Commons
For ambassador services or to report a problem, call the on-duty ambassador during hours of operation at 330-706-7383,
Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 11 p.m. | Saturday 11 a.m. - 11 p.m. | Sunday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
For non-emergency issues outside of ambassador operating hours, use the Akron Police Department's non-emergency numbers, 330-375-2181 or 330-375-2101. For any emergency at any time, call 911.
Click here for the ambassador and safety brochure.
• Provide escorts to and from businesses and parking locations
• Report on potential and actual emergencies
• Work with street-level businesses to address security/safety concerns
• Work to connect panhandlers to available service agencies
• Provide cleaning services to downtown sidewalks
• Remove litter and graffiti
• Identify and complete special projects
• Maintain downtown planters and hanging baskets
• Provide information and directions to visitors
• Jump car batteries and unlock car doors for stranded motorists
• Are certified in CPR and First Aid
Cover photo by Shane Wynn