Date and Time for this Past Event
Get Reserve Seating Tickets to Attend the Celebration HERE
Welcome the Year of the Dragon by enjoying great food from downtown restaurants, learning more about Lunar New Year, creating crafts, and attending a performance at the Akron Civic Theatre that features professional performers along with NIHF STEM Middle School Students and other community members. After the performance, enjoy a dazzling fireworks display right outside the theatre!
Tickets must be reserved to enjoy this event. Tickets are $5 each plus fees if purchased online at AkronCivic.com. The Akron Civic Theatre is a no fee box office, and tickets can be purchased there Monday through Friday from 10 am to 4 pm. Follow Downtown Akron Partnership on Facebook or Instagram to find out when tickets are on sale.
- Venue Doors Open at 3:30 PM
- Culture Fair in Knight Stage space and Akron Civic Theatre lobby from 3:30 - 6:00 PM
- Performances Begin at 6:00 PM
- Fireworks Display at 8:00 PM
Food (light appetizers will be available for purchase)
Located on the 2nd Floor of the Civic (mezzanine):
- Cilantro Thai and Sushi
- Boiling House Akron
- Eccentric Panda cotton candy
Located on Main St.:
- Eccentric Panda Food Truck
ACT 1 begins at 6:00 PM
- Opening remarks
- Kwan Family Lion Dance
- NIHF STEM Middle School Dragon Dance
- Master Gao & Liting Fan Martial Arts with Guzheng
- NIHF STEM Middle School Umbrella Dance
- Ka'Ren Culture Dance Academy: Traditional Bamboo Dance
- Emily Su: True Love (dance)
- Master Gao: solo martial arts
- NIHF STEM Middle School Ribbon Dance
- "I Love Chinese Food" performed by Akron Chinese School
- Wu Tang Center for the Therapeutic Arts and Education: Baji Quan
- Cleveland Glory Waist Drum Team: Good Sign
INTERMISSION at about 6:55 PM
ACT 2 begins at about 7:15 PM
- STEM / Voris CLC / Akron Early College Campus: Student Chorus
- Wu Tang Center for the Therapeutic Arts and Education: Yin Fu Bagua Hurricane Blades
- Ka'Ren Culture Dance Academy: Ka'Ren Don Traditional Dance
- Master Gao & Aaron Wells: dual martial arts
- Cleveland Glory Waist Drum Team: Magnolia Dance
- NIHF STEM Middle School: Taiji
- Stellar Acrobatic Dance Academy
Dragon Dancers Lead audience outside for Fireworks at about 8:00 PM
Culture Fair Vendors and Organizations
Located in the Knight Stage:
City of Akron HR Department
House Three Thirty
National Museum of Psychology and Institute Galleries
Akron METRO RTA
Asian Services in Action – ASIA
Akron Children's Museum
Photoplay Photobooth (free)
Located in the Civic Lobby
NIHF STEM Table
Downtown Akron Partnership
Artist Rae Faba meet & greet and poster signing
Located on the 2nd floor (mezzanine)
Northside Marketplace Pop-up Shop
University of Akron Lunar New Year T-shirt giveaway (limited quantity)
- Boiling House Akron (food)
- Cilantro Thai and Sushi (food)
- Eccentric Panda cotton candy
What are you doing after the celebration? Click here for a list of restaurants open on Sundays in downtown Akron, along with their hours.
Want to read about last year's celebration? Read our recap.
Sponsor the 2024 Downtown Akron Lunar New Year Celebration.
Need a ride?
Ride METRO fixed-routes FREE to downtown Akron on Sunday, February 18th, 2024 when you show the event flyer (paper or digital) to the bus operator. Call 330.762.0341 for routes and times or visit www.akronmetro.org to plan your trip.
The 2024 Downtown Akron Lunar New Year is presented by Downtown Akron Partnership, with generous support from the City of Akron, Knight Foundation, the Ohio Arts Council, GAR Foundation, Akron Community Foundation, and the Akron Civic Theatre. Other community partners include the Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron Public Schools, National Inventors Hall of Fame STEM Middle School, Asian Services in Action, the Ka’Ren Community of Akron, METRO RTA, and the University of Akron.