60 Fir Hill Get Directions
Akron, OH 44325
Hower House is a Second Empire Italianate structure, built in 1871 by Akron Industrialist, John Henry Hower and his wife, Susan Youngker Hower.
The designer of this 28-room Victorian Mansion was Jacob Snyder, a noted Akron architect, perhaps best known for his part in developing the “Akron Plan,” a floor plan widely used in church constructions locally and across the United States between 1870 and 1917.
This elegant home is filled with unique treasures and furnishings collected by the Hower Family during their travels around the world. Hower House is open for public and private tours, as well as group tours.
The house is open 11 months per year and offers a variety of exhibits and programs.
Hower House remains one of the finest and best preserved examples of its style in the country and is on the National Historic Landmark registry.
Nearby Eat & Drink
- Quaker Station at The University of Akron135 S Broadway St (0.4 miles W)
- Summit Artspace140 E Market St (0.4 miles NW)
- Heera Indian Cuisine117 E Market St (0.4 miles NW)
- The Green Dragon Inn Board Games Bar and Cafe115 E Market St (0.5 miles NW)
- Akron Art Museum1 S High St (0.5 miles NW)
- Crave156 S Main St (0.6 miles NW)
- Baxter's Speakeasy22 N High St (0.6 miles NW)
- BLU Jazz+47 E Market St (0.6 miles NW)
Nearby Arts & Culture
- E.J. Thomas Hall - The University of Akron198 Hill St (0.4 miles W)
- Akron Society of Artists140 E Market St (0.4 miles NW)
- The BOX: an Artists of Rubber City (AoRC) Gallery140 E Market St (0.4 miles NW)
- Katina Pastis Radwanski Studio/Gallery140 E Market St (0.4 miles NW)