Hower House is a Second Empire Italianate structure, built in 1871 by Akron Industrialist, John Henry Hower and his wife, Susan Youngker Hower.
The designer of this 28-room Victorian Mansion was Jacob Snyder, a noted Akron architect, perhaps best known for his part in developing the “Akron Plan,” a floor plan widely used in church constructions locally and across the United States between 1870 and 1917.
This elegant home is filled with unique treasures and furnishings collected by the Hower Family during their travels around the world. Hower House is open for public and private tours, as well as group tours.
The house is open 11 months per year and offers a variety of exhibits and programs.
Hower House remains one of the finest and best preserved examples of its style in the country and is on the National Historic Landmark registry.
Upcoming Events at Hower House - The University of Akron
- Hower House Holiday Wonderland Tours - Saturday, Dec 7, 2019 12-3 p.m.
- Hower House Santa Breakfast - Saturday, Dec 7, 2019 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Hower House Holiday Wonderland Tours - Sunday, Dec 8, 2019 1-4 p.m.
- Hower House Holiday Wonderland Tours - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 12-3 p.m.
- Hower House Holiday Wonderland Tours - Thursday, Dec 12, 2019 12-3 p.m.