Click here for a list of Akron Civic events canceled or postponed through April 2020.
Long recognized among the community’s cultural landmarks, the Akron Civic Theatre has a rich and spectacular history. It has provided the community with a venue for quality entertainment and live performances.
The theater was built in 1929 by Marcus Loew and designed by famed theater architect, John Eberson. The interior structure was fashioned after a Moorish castle featuring Mediterranean decor, including medieval carvings, authentic European antiques and Italian alabaster sculptures. Among facilities of its size, the Civic is one of only five remaining atmospheric theaters in the country where patrons experience a twinkling star-lit sky and intermittent clouds moving across the horizon, all while sitting inside the auditorium.
In June 2001, the Akron Civic Theatre closed its doors for a sixteen month restoration and expansion project. Just over $19 million was spent bringing the theater up to modern performance and patron standards, and to restore its infrastructure.
Upcoming Events at Akron Civic Theatre
- Summit Choral Society’s Concert - Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 3 p.m.
- Ballet Theatre of Ohio presents Cinderella - Saturday, May 1, 2021 2 p.m.
- Who's Bad: The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience - Friday, May 14, 2021 8 p.m.
- Brit Floyd - World Tour 2021 - Monday, May 17, 2021 8 p.m.
- Ballet Excel Ohio presents The Snow Queen - Sat, Jun 12, 2021 - Sun, Jun 13, 2021 2:00 p.m.