Long recognized among the community’s cultural landmarks, the Akron Civic Theatre has a rich and spectacular history. It has provided the community with a venue for quality entertainment and live performances.
The theater was built in 1929 by Marcus Loew and designed by famed theater architect, John Eberson. The interior structure was fashioned after a Moorish castle featuring Mediterranean decor, including medieval carvings, authentic European antiques and Italian alabaster sculptures. Among facilities of its size, the Civic is one of only five remaining atmospheric theaters in the country where patrons experience a twinkling star-lit sky and intermittent clouds moving across the horizon, all while sitting inside the auditorium.
In June 2001, the Akron Civic Theatre closed its doors for a sixteen month restoration and expansion project. Just over $19 million was spent bringing the theater up to modern performance and patron standards, and to restore its infrastructure.
Upcoming Events at Akron Civic Theatre
- K-Love Christmas Tour - Sunday, Dec 11, 2022 7 p.m.
- State of the Arts - Thursday, Dec 15, 2022 5 - 7 p.m.
- Lightwire: A Very Electric Christmas - Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 3 p.m. & 7 p.m.
- Straight No Chaser: The 25th Anniversary Celebration - Thursday, Dec 22, 2022 7:30 p.m.
- Joe, in Concert - Friday, Dec 30, 2022 8 - 10:30 p.m.