Date and Time for this Past Event
Friday, Jun 9, 2023 5pm - 9pm
Summit Artspace’s summer ArtWalk theme is “Be the Change,” with activities focused on how the arts serve as a tool for social justice. Local artists use their talents to inspire and illuminate, urging us to create a more inclusive, affirming, and equitable community.
- Summit Artspace 20+ resident artists will open their studios to the public, and 15+ pop-up artist vendors will sell handmade artwork throughout the building.
- Kent State University’s Wick Poetry Center’s Traveling Stanzas Poetry Makerspace will park in front of the building and invite visitors to create poems grounded in social justice themes. The refurbished recreational vehicle is the first of its kind in the country and serves as a mobile, interactive exhibit, showcasing the creative works of our diverse and vibrant community.
- A special Queer Market, organized by Micah Moo, on Summit Artspace’s second floor will feature the work of LGBTQIA+ artists for sale.
- Local service and advocacy organizations will provide information throughout the building.
- The Summit FM (91.3) will broadcast from Summit Artspace. Summit FM’s community service programming links our community to social well-being through a unique combination of music, stories, health, and music education.
- Food vendors will include Bereka Coffee and Ethiopian Food (vegan options), Stray Dog (hot dogs and more), Best Damn Smoked Meat, The Pierogi Lady, Honeydew Bakeshop (vegan bakery/sweets), and Pop Culture Cleveland (frozen treats with vegan options).
- Serve The People Akron is organizing an interactive community art exhibition, “The Art of an Akron Uprising” in the #AkronArtMuseum parking lot, 29 S Broadway St.
In addition, nearby ArtWalk activities in and near the Main-Market Historic District include:
The Akron-Summit County Public Library Downtown Branch will be open to the public from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. The Library will conduct activities at the Art Museum after 6 p.m.
The Akron Art Museum will be open to the public free of charge from 11 a.m. - 9 p.m. including the new exhibit, “Keith Haring: Against All Odds.” Galleries will be open and free, while the Bud & Susie Rogers Garden will be activated with fun-for-all activities.
The Nightlight Cinema will screen the dark comedy thriller Sanctuary (2022, Rated R). Showtimes available at www.nightlightcinema.com.
Akron Soul Train will open its galleries from 5 - 9 p.m. for visitors. Exhibits are “the space between landing and falling” by Katherine G. Moore and “just girlie things” by Eva Polzer.
Curated Storefront has new storefronts with fresh artwork to visit during ArtWalk at the Chemstress Building Courtyard and Huntington Tower on Main Street. Clayton Bailey's World of Wonders will be open from 4-8 p.m. Polsky Building, 225 S. Main St., Akron. Finally, the exhibition "a sack of milk and the botulism of meat" featuring the work of local artist Alexia Avdelas will be open from 5-9 p.m. at Bounce Innovation Hub, Suite 409 526 S Main St., Akron OH 44311.
In the Northside District, the Northside Cellar and Zeber-Martell Gallery and Clay Studio will be open until 5 p.m.
Jilly’s Music Room will be hosting DJ Chaka’s dance party. Starting at 8 p.m. DJ Chaka will be playing 70’s hits. FREE.
BLU Jazz+ and BLU-tique Hotel will host live music, food and spirits.
HAPPENINGS at each location: summitartspace.org/akron-artwalk
GUIDE to businesses: https://www.downtownakron.com/guide/your-guide-to-artwalk-in-downtown-akron
FACEBOOK EVENT: https://fb.me/e/216hgfzH4