Release Date: July 28,2021
Tuesday Musical unveils 2021-22 Akron Concert Series
Akron, OH, July 28, 2021 — An intimate Valentine’s concert by newlyweds Joshua Bell and Larisa Martinez, a holiday concert by The Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass, and a concert reuniting long-separated Cuban brothers are part of Tuesday Musical’s 2021-22 Akron Concert Series.
On sale now at tuesdaymusical.org and 330-761-3460, subscriptions begin at $90 for all six concerts. Five concerts are at Akron’s EJ Thomas Hall and the Marsalis holiday concert is at the newly restored and expanded Civic Theatre. Single-concert tickets go on sale Sept. 8.
“This season is filled with musical experiences you won’t find anywhere else in our region,” says Cynthia Snider, executive director of Tuesday Musical. “Inventive and diverse, it’s unlike anything we’ve ever presented.”
The full 2021-22 six-concert lineup for Tuesday Musical’s 134th season:
- VOCES8 on Oct. 19, 2021 — Tuesday Musical’s 2021-22 season opens with British a cappella ensemble VOCES8’s “Choral Dances” program spanning Bach to Irving Berlin. Passionate about education, VOCES8 will also inspire students during a residency supported by The University of Akron School of Music’s Kulas Concert Series.
- Naughton Piano Duo on Nov. 16 — Identical twins Christina and Michelle Naughton perform works by Copland, Bernstein and more on two Steinway grand pianos — and sometimes together on one — for Tuesday Musical’s Margaret Baxtresser Annual Piano Concert.
- The Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass on Dec. 7 — “No one plays absolutely beautifully all of the time…unless you’re my cousin Rodney,” claims Wynton Marsalis. Led by a member of American music family royalty, the world’s premier large brass ensemble comes to Akron’s historic Civic Theatre for a festive holiday program combining swing, classical and New Orleans jazz.
- Violinist Joshua Bell and soprano Larisa Martinez on Feb. 8, 2022 — He’s one of the world’s most recognized and in-demand classical musicians. She’s the operatic soprano who debuted to acclaim at Kennedy Center and Carnegie Hall in 2019 and has performed extensively with Andrea Bocelli. Together they are coming to Akron as one of the first stops on their first tour as a married couple.
- Harlem Quartet with pianist Aldo López-Gavilán on March 1 — The acclaimed Harlem Quartet, founded by violinist Ilmar López-Gavilán, is joined by Ilmar’s brother, pianist, and composer Aldo López-Gavilán. The powerful concert reunites the Cuban-born brothers in Afro-Cuban jazz and a piano masterpiece by Robert Schumann. In February, Tuesday Musical is collaborating with Akron’s Nightlight Cinema to screen Los Hermanos/The Brothers, the powerful new documentary about the two musical brothers stranded on opposite sides of a geopolitical chasm.
- Nu Deco Ensemble on May 4 — The New York Times has proclaimed Miami-based Nu Deco as “an orchestra for the 21st century” because of its genre-bending transformations of the works of Aretha Franklin and Queen as well as its reimaginations of Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons.
Details at 330-761-3460 and tuesdaymusical.org.