Release Date: May 14,2021
The Nightlight Announces June 11 Cinema Reopening and Additional Outdoor Dates
May 14, 2021, Akron, OH — After closing its doors on March 15, 2020 due to COVID-19, The Nightlight will reopen on June 11, 2021. Tickets for the opening weekend will go on sale Monday, May 17, 2021 with titles to be announced.
Thanks to members and donors, and with support from Knight Foundation, GAR Foundation, Akron Community Foundation, and Ohio Arts Council, the nonprofit arthouse cinema has kept its staff intact and has taken steps to return to its primary location at 30 N. High Street in downtown Akron.
- Cinema Improvements include a state-of-the-art air filtration system and a remodeled lobby.
- A UV-C air filtration system and updated HVAC are installed to provide fresh air intake and reduce airborne contaminants.
- Plexi-glass shielding is new to the box office area, along with hand sanitizing stations throughout, and markers for socially distant check-in and seating.
- The entryway is newly remodeled as the “Rob Lucas Lobby”, in memory of the co-founder and longtime trustee of The Nightlight and founder of The Akron Independent Film Festival. In addition, new flooring has been installed throughout. These improvements were made possible by a donation from Rob's parents.
“We cannot wait to welcome you back to an improved cinema, while simultaneously offering unique film watching opportunities at home and out in the community,” says Interim Executive Director Matthew Wachter.
First-run independent and international films will resume at the cinema, while outdoor and online options will also continue.
The Nightlight Under the Stars
- Following nine consecutive sell-outs in 2020, outdoor screenings will expand to at least thirteen in 2021.
- Successful partnerships with The Winery at Wolf Creek and Stan Hywet Hall continue.
- Three new event dates with Hale Farm & Village are added.
- Other outdoor event locations are being explored.
For more information on The Nightlight, or The Nightlight Under the Stars, please contact Interim Executive Director Matthew Wachter at email@example.com.
About The Nightlight
The Nightlight is an independent, nonprofit cinema located at 30 North High Street in downtown Akron. It opened on July 1, 2014, thanks to key grants from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and GAR Foundation. Showtimes and tickets can be found at www.nightlightcinema.com.