Release Date: June 16,2020
Summit Metro Parks Launches #Staysafesmp Contest to Promote Safe Summer Fun
June 16, 2020, Akron, OH – Parks and trails remain open, and today Summit Metro Parks launched a social media contest to highlight the safe summer activities to discover and enjoy this summer season. The event runs today through July 31, 2020 and the randomly selected winner of a Summit Metro Parks-branded gear pack will be announced in early August.
“With 16 parks and 150 miles of trails, there’s plenty of room to spread out and safely connect with nature this summer,” said Executive Director Lisa King. “From wildlife watching to archery to nature drawing, there’s something for everyone in Summit Metro Parks.”
To enter, follow Summit Metro Parks on Instagram to learn about the wide variety of activities that can safely enjoyed in the parks this summer. Visit a local Metro Park, take a photo of safe park use and post to a public Instagram account. Don’t forget to use #StaySafeSMP and tag the specific park or trail location. A list of qualifying parks and trails can be found here. Safe park use tips include:
- Think First: Stay home if you are sick or have symptoms.
- Wash Hands: Wash your hands before coming to the park, carry hand sanitizer and try to avoid high-touch areas.
- Keep Your Distance: Maintain 6 feet between yourself and others and give warning before passing on the trail. Follow trail markings for one-way travel.
- Come Prepared: Bring your own drinking water, carry out your trash and be prepared for restroom closures.
- Respect Closures: Some restrooms and other amenities remain closed for public safety. Please bypass busy areas for quieter ones - it's a great time to check out a new park.
- Stay in Touch: The situation changes rapidly and the SMP website and social media are continually updated with the latest information.
One randomly-selected winner be awarded a Summit Metro Parks gear pack including an SMP-branded hat, key chain, water bottle and full suite of 16 “park art” stickers.
Please review full contest details and eligibility requirements available at summitmetroparks.org. Current press releases are available online: https://www.summitmetroparks.org/news-room.aspx.
Summit Metro Parks manages more than 14,000 acres, including 16 parks, several conservation areas and more than 150 miles of trails, with 22 miles of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail. Annual attendance averages 5 million visits.