Release Date: July 27,2022
Mental Health Matters Event Taking Place Friday, July 29, at Lock 3 Park
Akron, Ohio, July 27, 2022 – Summit County Public Health, the Akron Municipal Court and Full Term First Birthday of Greater Akron are presenting the “Mental Health Matters” event taking place Friday, July 29, 2022 from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. at Lock 3 Park in downtown Akron.
There is no cost to attend and topics including maternal depression will be discussed.
Here are notable events happening as part of the day:
- The Akron Children’s Museum will be offering free entry between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Local social service agencies, including but not limited to Ohio Guidestone, the Summit County ADM Board, United Way of Summit and Medina Counties and Catholic Charities, will have booths.
- DJ Smoov will provide music throughout the event.
- At Noon, nationally renowned speaker Ivy Watts will discuss her battles with anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. Watts is a former Division II student-athlete focused on track and field.
- At 1:30 p.m., a panel discussion will take place led by Megan Gallagher, Producer of WKYC’s Mental Health Series “You are Not Alone.” Gallagher will be the emcee. Panelists are:
- Michel Farivar, Department Chair of Psychiatry, Cleveland Clinic Akron General
- Leslie Powlette Stoyer, Executive Director, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Summit County.
- Judge Alison Breaux, Administrative Judge and Presiding Judge of HOPE Court, Summit County Common Pleas Court
- Dioswal Cook, MoMs Coordinator, CHC Addiction Services
- Brandee West, Summa Health
- Two food trucks will be on-site selling food: Sassy Dog and Empamami.
Grant dollars were given by The Ohio Commission on Minority Health and the Akron Community Foundation.
RSVPs are appreciated but not required. Registration can take place at https://tinyurl.com/SummitMHM.