Release Date: June 16,2021
Mayor Horrigan Announces Neighborhood-Based Fourth of July Fireworks
Akron, Ohio, June 16, 2021 — Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan and Lock 3 are thrilled to announce Fourth of July fireworks displays throughout the city for the second year in a row. The four synchronized neighborhood displays will begin at 9:45 p.m. on Sunday July 4, 2021.
“Last year, we were forced to get creative and do things differently to allow for social distancing during our fireworks displays,” said Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan. “But we had such a positive response and outpouring of support that we decided to bring the neighborhood displays back again in 2021. Spreading the fireworks out in locations around the City allows many residents to watch the displays from the comfort of their own yard or neighborhood park and still allows us to celebrate as a community with the synchronized soundtrack.”
The synchronized program of fireworks will be launched from the Akron Executive Airport, Patterson Park Ballfields, Summit Lake, and Erie Island. Lock 3 will not be hosting the annual Rib, White and Blue Festival in 2021.
A perimeter around these four sites will be secured, and spectators will not be allowed to park or walk close to the launching grounds. Instead, individuals and families are encouraged to watch from their own homes or neighborhoods and enjoy the fireworks from a distance.
In partnership with WONE and the Rubber City Radio Group, spectators can share in a patriotic soundtrack for the program, no matter where they are, by tuning their radios to WONE 97.5 FM.
The show will begin promptly at 9:45 p.m., Sun. July 4, 2021, with test shots being fired at 8:30 p.m., 9:00 p.m., and 9:30 p.m. The test shots will help residents determine the best location to view the displays.
Additionally, visitors to downtown Akron can find the following events on Independence Day weekend:
- Fri., July 2, 2021: Rock the Lock with E5C4P3 Journey Tribute with the Tony Lang Band from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. - First Friday Admission $5
- Sat., July 3, 2021: Downtown Akron Partnership is hosting free Zumba on Cascade Plaza with Christy Leenheer from 9:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., July 3, 2021: Lock 3 is hosting its Downtown Block Party from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. It will feature a local food truck round-up (interested trucks should contact Lock 3 at firstname.lastname@example.org), craft beer tasting, inflatables, and live entertainment on the stage, including the Realm of the Reptile show and local band 45 RPM.
- Sat., July 3, 2021: Downtown Akron Partnership is hosting Family Skate on Cascade Plaza from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Sat., July 3, 2021: Akron RubberDucks have a baseball game with NASCAR Night, a Fauxback Mullet Cap giveaway, and Zac Brown Fireworks.
- Sun., July 4, 2021: Akron RubberDucks will host an Imagine Dragons Fireworks show after the baseball game at Canal Park stadium.
Filled with evening concerts, movies, exercise classes, and community events, Lock 3’s summer schedule was crafted to bring back safe community entertainment, following all current directives from the State of Ohio and the CDC to provide top-notch experiences for the entire family.
Additional event information will be posted as it becomes available at Lock3Live.com.