Release Date: August 12,2019
Joel Fuhrman and Ocean Robbins to present keynote talks at Wayside Wellness Fair on Saturday, Sept. 21 at Akron Civic Theatre
The third annual Wayside Wellness Fair is free, but tickets are required and will be available beginning Monday, Aug. 5
New York Times bestselling author Joel Fuhrman, MD, and Food Revolution Network co-founder Ocean Robbins will be the keynote speakers at the third annual Wayside Wellness Fair on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019 at the Akron Civic Theatre. From 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., the fair will feature free healthful food and beverage samples, free health screenings, more than 25 wellness booths and a series of wellness presentations on stage.
Wayside Wellness Fair is sponsored by Wayside Furniture and is presented in collaboration with Cleveland Clinic Akron General and the Akron Civic Theatre. The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are available at Wayside Furniture; Cleveland Clinic Akron General Health & Wellness Centers in Akron, Stow and Uniontown; Mustard Seed Market & Café locations in Montrose and Highland Square; and the Akron Civic Theatre box office.
At 10:30 a.m., keynote speaker Ocean Robbins will speak on “The Healthy Food Revolution.” Robbins will explore the toxic food culture that is fueling epidemic rates of chronic illness and offer ideas for how people can extend their life spans and decrease their chances of getting cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, heart disease and many other chronic ailments. He will present a candid and inspiring look at the truth about food — what's really going on with GMOs and important breakthroughs in food and medical science — and what individuals can do to be a powerful force for positive change. [bio below]
At 1:00 p.m., Joel Fuhrman, MD, will present “Advances in Nutritional Science to Live Healthfully Until 100.” Dr. Fuhrman will review the basic principles of longevity science and the scientific evidence showing that the war on cancer can be won with adherence to a diet-style rich in anti-cancer phytochemicals, which also help to prevent dementia. His “Nutritarian” diet is one comprehensively rich in micronutrients, including protective antioxidants and phytochemicals. He will demonstrate how to use a “nutrient-per-calorie-density” calculation to structure dietary recommendations; explain how lessons learned from nutritional science can impact the aging process and prevent disease; explore differences between various high-carbohydrate foods and their influence on health; identify foods that positively and negatively affect hormones that contribute to disease and premature aging; and review the foods with the most powerful effects to prevent cancer and how to incorporate those foods into one’s dietary portfolio. [bio below]
In addition to the keynote presentations, the Wayside Wellness Speakers’ Stage will feature three community experts:
• 10:00 a.m. “Resilience and Its Impact on Health” Dr. Jennifer Savitski, Chair, OB/GYN, Cleveland Clinic Akron General
• 12 noon “Making Local, Healthy, Seasonal Eating Simple” Tracy Emrick, CEO, Countryside
• 12:30 p.m. “Forming Healthy Habits: A Day in the Life of Living a Preventative Lifestyle” Abraham Nabors, Director of Education & Standards, Mustard Seed Market & Café
From 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 pm, Wayside Wellness Fair will feature free health screenings, free healthful food and beverage samples and wellness booths.
• Cleveland Clinic Akron General will offer free blood pressure screenings and osteoporosis evaluations as well as cholesterol and glucose screenings. All costs will be covered by Wayside Furniture, which encourages as many people as possible to take advantage of this opportunity.
• The University of Akron Audiology and Speech Center will offer free hearing assessments.
• A bounty of free healthful food and beverage samples will be available from Mustard Seed Market & Café, Miss Julie’s Kitchen, CoreLife Eatery and the Akron Civic Theatre. Miss Julie’s Kitchen will prepare samples from Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat to Live cookbooks
• Booth participants will include Akron Area YMCA, Akron Children's Hospital, Alzheimer's Association of East Ohio Area Chapter, Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Cleveland Seed Bank, Cleveland MetroParks, Countryside, National Health Association, Pamela Neitenbach, LMT, HHP, Summit County Public Health, Yoga Bliss and several others.
“I am very excited to help bring this free community event to Northeast Ohio,” said John Ferrato, president of Wayside Furniture, which is the presenting sponsor of Wayside Wellness Fair. “Everyone is touched by health-related issues.”
Ferrato continued, “This is a chance to learn more about many common diseases and how to prevent them, cure them, live longer and happier with them or help others who are afflicted by them. I hope the community can come enjoy the talks and information booths along with the free health screenings and the free food and beverage samples. Plus, we have two outstanding, internationally-known keynote speakers in Ocean Robbins and Dr. Joel Furhman. We are very grateful for Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s help and all the other organizations that help make this event possible. I am particularly blessed to work with the Akron Civic Theatre. They have been very helpful with many of our community events over the years. I can’t wait for other upcoming events Wayside is sponsoring at the Civic — like the Pints & Pies Craft Beer and Pizza Pie Festival in October and our free holiday movies in December!"
Wayside Wellness Fair is free, but tickets are required and can be picked up at the following locations beginning Monday, Aug. 5, 2019:
1367 Canton Rd., Akron
Cleveland Clinic Akron General Health & Wellness Centers
4125 Medina Rd., Akron
4300 Allen Rd., Stow
1940 Town Park Blvd., Uniontown
Mustard Seed Market & Café
3885 W Market St., Montrose
867 W Market St., Highland Square in Akron
Akron Civic Theatre Box Office
182 S. Main St., Akron
For more information about the event, contact the Akron Civic Theatre at 330.535.3179 or visit www.AkronCivic.com.