View All News
Release Date: July 30,2021
GAR Foundation awards $380,700 in capital funding to nonprofit organizations
Akron, Ohio (July 29, 2021) - GAR Foundation announced $380,700 in capital funding to Summit County community organizations. GAR offers this competitive, limited-funding capital application round every other year. This year, GAR granted 19 organizations funding for mission-critical capital projects.
“GAR continues to be impressed with the important community-building work underway by our local nonprofits, as depicted by this year’s list of capital grant awardees,” said Christine Amer Mayer, president of GAR Foundation. “We saw a lot of innovative thinking inspired by the COVID-19 crisis, including the repurposing of spaces and creative use of outdoor areas to maintain and increase services to the community.”
Notable grants include awards to KABOOM! for constructing an inclusive playspace in West Akron at Kerr Park; Kenmore Neighborhood Association for the renovation and repurposing of a historical building in the heart of the Kenmore business district; The Akron History Center at the Bowery for the creation of an interactive history space in Downtown Akron; and Truly Reaching You for renovations of their South Street Employment Training Hub.
The organizations receiving support this round include:
- ACCESS Inc., $20,000, for a roof replacement for the shelter
- Akron Urban League, $13,700, for capital improvements within AUL’s headquarters
- Art Resources Transformations, $5,000, for expansion of Avant Garden artist studios
- Broken Chains Jail & Prison Ministry, $6,000, for capital upgrades to its workforce program
- Emmanuel Christian Academy, $25,000, for HVAC upgrades and replacement windows at the Academy
- KABOOM!, $40,000, for playspace in West Akron at Kerr Park
- Kenmore Neighborhood Association, $40,000, for the renovation of a historical building on Kenmore Blvd.
- North Akron Community Development Corporation, $25,000, for completion of the People’s Park next to the Exchange House
- OPEN M, $12,000, for upgrades to its facility including exam rooms and a chair lift
- Peninsula Foundation, $25,000, for the G.A.R. Hall ADA Project
- Shelter Care, $15,000, for the renovation of the Safe Landing Multipurpose Room
- Summit County Land Bank, $25,000, for The John S. Knight House Project
- Summit County Probate Court, $5,000, for “The New Dawn Blooms” creative space
- The Akron History Center at the Bowery, $35,000, for the creation of an interactive history space in Downtown Akron
- The Summit County Historical Society, $25,000, for John Brown House Phase III
- Truly Reaching You, $25,000, for renovations of its South Street Employment Training Hub
- United Disability Services, $14,000, for capital improvements at the UDS facility
- Urban Vision, $15,000, for facility upgrades related to preschool licensure and expansion
- Weathervane Community Playhouse, Inc., $10,000, for the Performance Patio Theatre project
For more information contact Rob Lehr at email@example.com or 330.576.2913.