Release Date: March 9,2021
City of Akron Now Accepting Applications for Next Police Chief
A public survey will coincide with applicant submittals
Akron, Ohio, March 9, 2021 — Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan has now published a marketing brochure that includes an official job description, highlights about the greater Akron community, and an application submittal process in order to attract and inform those interested in being the next City of Akron Police Chief. Last month, Chief Ken Ball retired after nearly 30 years of dedicated service. The City has chosen Ralph Andersen & Associates, a nationwide executive job search and consulting company, to lead the efforts on a search for Chief Ball’s replacement. As the City collects applicant submittals, Ralph Andersen & Associates will also be conducting surveys from both City of Akron employees and community members at large on what is important to them in the next Chief.
“I’m looking forward to this next phase of our Police Chief Search, not only to see what type of quality leaders apply for the position, but also to gather and review feedback from both our employees and our citizens. This next Chief, like all our City employees, will be serving the citizens of Akron, so this portion of the search process is critical in informing our decisions on the right candidate for Akron,” states Mayor Dan Horrigan. Details on the search efforts can be found at www.akronohio.gov/policechief and a link to the community survey is available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/APDCommunity as well as on the City’s social media pages. The survey will be promoted widely to gather as many responses as possible and will be available until April 23.
The brochure, which can be viewed here, gives applicants an idea of what the City is looking for in an ideal candidate and about the unique aspects of Akron, Ohio.
The City’s ideal candidate will:
- Have demonstrated the ability to hold others accountable to values characterized by a commitment to integrity, honesty, transparency, humility, proactivity, innovation, equity, compassion, service excellence, and responsive leadership;
- Have extensive knowledge of complex urban environments and a demonstrated commitment to equitably serving, recruiting minority candidates, and working with all spectrums of multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-religious, and socioeconomically diverse communities;
- Exhibit outstanding communication skills; be hands-on, open, and receptive to working with people to create and sustain an environment of trust and respect;
- Possess the ability to be politically and technologically savvy, and have the ability to receive constructive criticism;
- Demonstrate the ability to make decisions based on facts and merit;
- Display a demonstrated commitment to community-oriented policing and problem solving, staff development, and morale building to set a positive tone within the Department;
- Possess a passion for public service and public safety as well as positive futures for all Akron residents; and
- Exhibit exceptional leadership and people skills; the ability to work with and establish relationships with a wide range of stakeholder groups, strategic partners, elected officials, colleagues, and the media.
The City is looking for a candidate with a minimum of ten years of command or management experience in law-enforcement with at least two years equivalent to Deputy Chief or above. Graduation from a police leadership development program is desired, with a Bachelor's degree being preferred, and a Master's degree a plus. The selected candidate will be required to successfully complete all Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy certification requirements within the first year of employment. Although not required, it is highly desired that upon hire, the new Chief of Police reside within the corporate limits of the City of Akron.
Interested candidates may apply by sending their resume, cover letter, salary history, and six professional references to Ralph Andersen & Associates via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates are requested to submit materials prior to Friday, April 23, 2021. Candidates may be asked to complete a series of written responses for further evaluation and possible presentation and submit a summary of career accomplishments as part of the selection process.