View All News
Release Date: July 20,2023
Calling All Regional Artists: Apply to Akron Soul Train’s Artist Residency!
July 20, 2023, Akron, Ohio — Akron Soul Train (AST) invites regional artists from various artistic disciplines—visual, performing, written arts, cross-genre, and experimental—to submit their applications for AST’s artist residency program. These residencies are typically one month and include a $1000 stipend, resources and time to create and showcase a new body of artwork, recognition in community and press, and opportunities to engage the Akron community and meet new people, artists, and stakeholders in the local art scene.
Artists will be responsible for creating a brand-new body of work for display or performance. They will also lead at least one community program during their month of residency, conduct a one-day “take over” on AST social media and provide availability for press and outreach opportunities.
Artists must be over 18 years old, and regional or close enough to drive to Akron for events and be willing to travel for programming.
The criteria for selection are rooted in the artist's artistic excellence, innovation, professionalism, and potential for growth. The AST Residency Committee, composed of seven diverse committee members, is responsible for the selection of 12-15 artists in residence.
- Arnold Tunstall, Director of Galleries at The University of Akron and AST board member
- Jill Bacon Madden, Owner of Jilly’s Music Room and AST board member
- Stephen Tomasko, Photographer, and AST Alumnus
- Rick Rogers, Founder of Curated Storefront, Akron arts advocate
- Francisca B. Ugalde, Curator, Institute for Human Science and Culture. Instructor, Museums and Archives Certificate Program
- Diane Johnson, Writer, Visual Artist, and Co-founder of the Black Artist Guild
- Benjamin Patrick, Akron Recording Company, AST Alumnus
Find more information and FAQs about Akron Soul Train’s Artist Residency Program here: https://www.akronsoultrain.org/apply-for-residency.
For all other questions about the residency and application, visit our website at www.akronsoultrain.org or contact Pita Brooks, Executive Director at email@example.com.