Release Date: February 12,2021
Akron Art Museum Reopening February 18
Friday, February 12, 2021, Akron, Ohio — The Akron Art Museum will reopen to the public on February 18, 2021! At this time, our open days will be Thursday through Saturday, and free admission will continue. With the arrival of the vaccine and its distribution, the increased opening of the community, and discussions with our board president, Dr. Drew Engles, the leadership team has decided that we can safely welcome visitors once again. Our highest priority is the safety of all of our staff, visitors, and volunteers. Throughout this process, we have been monitoring Summit County and CDC guidelines, and we will continue to do so in order to provide updates and alter plans as needed.
We wanted to ensure that, when we reopened, the Museum would be in the best condition possible to welcome visitors in a safe manner. Here’s what’s changed at the Museum due to COVID-19:
- There are clearly marked capacity limits for social distancing in the galleries.
- A single direction path through the Museum has been established.
- We set up a low-contact environment for ticketing and the store.
- The staff is required to wear masks and have their temperatures checked daily upon entry.
- We have updated our filtration system using high-quality filters capable of capturing small particles similar to those used in institutions. This system brings in filtered air from outside of the Museum to constantly replace the air inside the building.
- All HVAC systems are currently up and running, so temperatures throughout the building are uniform and comfortable.
- The Building Services staff has enhanced their cleaning procedures. The staff wipes down and sanitizes contact surfaces and restrooms continually throughout the day in accordance with CDC guidelines.
The Museum’s current hours of operation are as follows: Thursday: 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., Friday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday: 11 a.m.– 5 p.m. Admission is free. Pre-registration on Eventbrite is recommended, but walk-ups are welcome. Stay tuned for more updates on hours and information regarding special evenings coming soon. We also welcome you to continue enjoying the Museum from home. All of our program offerings will remain online and you can view upcoming events on our website. And be sure to look in this Monday’s AAM Update email for a preview of our new exhibitions, Totally Rad and Totally Radical, opening February 18, featuring 1980s artwork from our collection.