On June 30, 2008 hundreds of people came out to witness history being made. The 1836 Richard Howe House was moved down Exchange Street from it original site next to the Akron Beacon Journal to its new site next to the Ohio & Erie Canal and Towpath Trail. Richard Howe was the resident engineer for the Ohio & Erie Canal from 1825 to 1832, designing canal prism and locks between Massillon and Cleveland. The Howe House has been restored and serves as a visitor information center for the Ohio & Erie National Heritage Canalway, a meeting center, and as offices for the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition.
Upcoming Events at Richard Howe House