Celebrate the Year of the Rabbit, Lunar New Year 2023, in downtown Akron
Where: Akron Civic Theatre
When: Saturday, January 28, 2023 | doors open at 4:30 p.m.
Lunar New Year in downtown Akron Performances and activities*
This year's Downtown Akron Lunar New Year Celebration is happening in the evening on January 28, 2023, at the Akron Civic Theatre.
This event is free and open to the public.
- Food and beverages
- Paper Lantern craft led by Akron Children's Museum
- Red envelope giveaways
- T-shirt giveaways (while supplies last, courtesy of the University of Akron)
- Outstanding cultural performances
- Fireworks (10-minute show)
Schedule of events
- 4:30 — Doors open: Food available, ***CASH ONLY*** from Boiling House Akron, Cilantro Thai & Sushi, and Evelyn's Coffee and Banh Mi
- 5:30 — House (seating) opens
- 6:00 — Performances include (order TBA)
- NIHF STEM Students Dragon Dance
- Kwan Family Lion Dance
- Master Gao Martial Arts demonstration
- Akron Chinese School Children's Play
- NIHF STEM Students Umbrella Dance
- Ka'Ren Traditional Bamboo Dance
- Glory Drum Team of Cleveland
- Stellar Acrobatic Dance Academy
- Master Zhang and Akron Wutan Martial Arts Center
- NIHF STEM Students Chinese Dress Fashion Show
- 7:30 — Fireworks (outdoors, over Lock 3, viewable from Main St. and the terrace areas of Lock 3)
Ride METRO fixed-routes FREE to downtown Akron on Saturday, January 28th, 2023 from 2:30 - 10 pm when you show this flyer (paper or digital) to the bus operator. Call 330.762.0341 for routes and times or visit www.akronmetro.org to plan your trip.
*performances and activities subject to change
Click here for recommended Free Parking Nearby
Both the State St. Parking Deck and the Cascade Parking Deck are handicap-accessible. For individuals living with mobility issues, patron drop-off is at the entrance of the Akron Civic Theatre on S. Main St. Click here for accessibility information at the Akron Civic Theatre.
What to do after the Downtown Akron Lunar New Year Celebration
Food: Places to get dinner include
0.4 miles away: The One: Food and Spirits: offering the Lucky Lunar Combo (Duck confit egg rolls and an Asian pear martini for $20) on Friday, January 27 and Saturday, January 28. Click here for the flyer.
0.3 miles away: Cilantro Thai & Sushi: offering an eclectic menu with specialties from Thai and Japanese cuisines with a variety of exotic spices.
0.3 miles away: Boiling House Akron Seafood and Sushi Bar: offering hundreds of Red Envelopes along with a variety of seafood and sushi, including Fried Crawfish, Japanese Squid Salad, Snow Crab Legs, Shrimp Tempura Roll.
More things to do:
0.2 miles away: Ice Skating at Lock 3 until 11:30 p.m. Just $5 to rent skates.
0.3 miles away: Velvet Vintage Boutique: presenting their Lunar New Year Shopping Exhibit, featuring fine China tea sets, Asian-inspired décor and more.
The 2023 Downtown Akron Lunar New Year celebration is presented with support from the Knight Foundation, the City of Akron, Asian Services in Action, the Ka'Ren Community of Akron, The University of Akron, NIHF STEM School, Civic Youth Innovation Engagement, Akron Community Foundation, GAR Foundation, Ohio Arts Council, Akron Civic Commons, Akron METRO RTA, Akron Children's Museum, Akron Children's Hospital, and the Akron Civic Theatre.