Special Improvement District
2015-2019 Services Plan
Services Plans for 2005-2009 and 2010-2014 available upon request
2015-2016 SID Annual Report
Previous year's annual reports for the SID available upon request
Special Improvement District (SID)
Under a management agreement, the Downtown Akron Partnership (DAP) administers the services plan for the 42-block Downtown Akron Special Improvement District, Inc (SID).
The SID is a private, not-for profit organization through which property owners assess themselves to provide funding for district-wide marketing and promotion, business resources, physical environment enhancement services, safety, residential and parking programs, as well as advocacy services.
*Downtown Akron Special Improvement District
SID Success at a Glance
- Over the past five years, more than half a billion dollars have been invested in downtown and its adjacent neighborhoods and there is much more to come. In 2016, three significant residential mixed use developments were announced alongside two major hospital expansions, a boutique hotel project and more than 147.5 million dollars in infrastructure improvements including the redesign of downtown’s Main Street.
- Downtown continues to attract great numbers of visitors each year, hosting 3.6 million in 2016
- More than 30,000 people work Downtown. Employers range from small, family owned businesses to large, national corporations.
- After five years of declining metrics, Downtown Akron experienced an incredible turnaround in 2016 with more than 120,000 sq. ft of positive absorption, and dropping 800 basis points in vacancy. Downtown vacancy rate is currently 20.4%
- DAP has established an e-mail network of nearly 16,000 people to share information through regular press releases, bi-weekly events e-news and a quarterly downtown report of business developments and projects
- Through continued support from Akron Metro Regional Transit Authority, the downtown ambassador program keep the SID clean safe and vibrant with nine ambassadors on the streets six days a week
- Throughout the 21 years of First Night Akron, downtown has hosted more than 347,000 people who have enjoyed a clean, safe and fun downtown New Year’s Eve celebration.